English French
You are here:Dioceses & Bishops Diocese of Temotu Anglican Church of Melanesia - Media Office
Tuesday, 11 March 2014 09:34

John Coleridge Patteson University

Written by

The mature status of Education in the Anglican Church of Melanesia started in the 1800’s when the first Melanesians were taken to be educated overseas. Since then, education was a mission the church is committed herself to undertake until today. In the mid 1990’s the church has decided to develop its education system into tertiary level.

The momentum started to pick up since then. In November 1998, the General Synod has approved the formation of the church’s own university with the priority to establish it in the faculty of the school of theology at Bishop Patteson Theological College. The General Synod also approved for the new University to be called the John Coleridge Patteson University. And in 2008 the church was able to acquire a piece of land from the landowners for the relocation of the Bishop Patteson Theological College from west Guadalcanal to the new site in north Guadalcanal plains.

It has always been the church’s commitment to collaborate with other education providers and stakeholders. The acquisition of the piece of land in north Guadalcanal more than enough to hold seven different faculties is seen as the church’s commitment for tertiary institutional learning. And this tertiary commitment should actually begin when the church is able to give the green light for the work to begin with the help of the landowners.